OBJECT OF EXPERIMENT
This test is performed to determine the water (moisture) content of soils. The water content is the ratio, expressed as a percentage, of the mass of “pore” or “free” water in a given mass of soil to the mass of the dry soil solids.
IS 2720 (Part II) – Standard Test Method for Laboratory Determination of Water (Moisture) Content of Soil, Rock and Soil-Aggregate Mixtures.
1. Drying oven
3. Moisture can
(1) Determine the weight of soil solids. Ws = WCDS – WSC
(2) Determine the weight of pore water. WW = WCMS – WCDS
(3) Determine the water content. W = (WW / WS) x 100
(Where, Ws = Weight of solid in grams ; WCDS = Weight of can, lid and Dry soil in grams ; WSC = Weight of empty, clean can + lid in grams ; WW = Weight of pore water in grams ; WCMS = Weight of can, lid and moist soil in grams ; W = Water content)
1. Record the moisture can and lid number. Determine and record the weight of an empty, clean and dry moisture can with its lid (WSC).
2. Place the moist soil in the moisture can and secure the lid. Determine and record the weight of the moisture can (now containing the moist soil) with the lid (WCMS).
3. Remove the lid and place the moisture can (containing the moist soil) in the drying oven that is set at 105 o C. Leave it in the oven overnight.
4. Remove the moisture can carefully but securely replace the lid on the moisture can using gloves and allow it to cool to room temperature. Determine and record the weight of the moisture can and lid (containing the dry soil) (WCDS).
5. Empty the moisture can and clean the can and lid.
|Moisture Can and Lid Number|
|WSC = Weight of empty, clean can + lid in grams|
|WCMS = Weight of can, lid and moist soil in grams|
|WCDS = Weight of can, lid and Dry soil in grams|
|Ws = Weight of solid in grams|
|WW = Weight of pore water in grams|
|W = Water Content (%)||
|Wavg = (W1 + W2 + W3)/3|
Finally, write your own experience from experiment.
For more Information and Videos, Visit LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
LEARNING TECHNOLOGY is a Brand YouTube channel which contains Technical Lectures on “Civil Engineering” from personal field experience. This Channel is maintained by Civil Engineer MUKESH SAH. You can follow him by subscribing channel and HIT the bell for latest updates.
Share, Support, Subscribe, Like !!!
Visit His Official Websites, Facebook Fan Page, Twitter.
For Business Enquiry and Help, You can Email him.
►YouTube Channel : www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBgs2fL5-u-29up4_JF8kw
►Email Id : email@example.com
► Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/L-T-1681713582078656
► Twitter : www.twitter.com/LearningTechno3