SPECIFIC GRAVITY OF SOIL DETERMINATION | Learning Technology
OBJECT OF EXPERIMENT
The object of the experiment is to determine the specific gravity of soil solid by using a Pycnometer.
IS 2720 (Part – III, Sec – 1), Determination of Specific Gravity for Fine Grained soil.
3. Vacuum pump
Specific Gravity of soil solid is the ratio of the weight of unit volume of soil solid at a stated temperature to the weight of the same volume of air-free distilled water at that temperature.
Calculate the Specific Gravity of soil solids using the following formula:
Therefore, SPECIFIC GRAVITY, GS = WS / [WS + (WA – WB)]
WS = Weight of sample of oven dry soil = WPS – WP
WPS = Weight of the pycnometer containing the dry soil,
WP = Weight of empty, clean and dry pycnometer,
WA = Weight of pycnometer filled with water,
WB = Weight of pycnometer filled with water and soil,
1. First of all determine and record the weight of the empty clean and dry pycnometer, WP
2. Place 10 gms of a dry soil sample (passed through the sieve 2mm) in the pycnometer. Determine and record the weight of the pycnometer containing the dry soil, WPS
3. Add distilled water to fill about half to three-fourth of the pycnometer. Soak the sample for 10 minutes.
4. Apply a partial vacuum to the contents for 10 minutes, to remove the entrapped air.
5. Stop the vacuum and carefully remove the vacuum line from pycnometer.
6. Fill the pycnometer with distilled (water to the mark), clean the exterior surface of the pycnometer with a clean, dry cloth. Determine the weight of the pycnometer and contents, WB
7. Empty the pycnometer and clean it and then fill it with distilled water only (to the mark). Clean the exterior surface of the pycnometer with a clean dry cloth. Finally determine the weight of the pycnometer and distilled water, WA
8. Empty the pycnometer and clean it.
Tested Date :
Tested By :
Sample Number :
Sample Description :
|SOIL SAMPLE TYPE|
|WP = Weight of empty, clean pycnometer in grams|
|WPS = Weight of empty pycnometer + dry soil in grams|
|WS = Weight of sample of oven-dry soil|
|WB = Weight of pycnometer + dry soil + water in grams|
|WA = Weight of pycnometer + water in grams|
|SPECIFIC GRAVITY, GS = WS / [WS + (WPS – WP)]|
Finally write your own experience from from experiment
For more Information and Videos, Visit LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
LEARNING TECHNOLOGY is a Brand YouTube channel which contains Technical Lectures on “Civil Engineering” from personal field experience. This Channel is maintained by Civil Engineer MUKESH SAH. You can follow him by subscribing channel and HIT the bell for latest updates.
Share, Support, Subscribe, Like !!!
Visit His Official Websites, Facebook Fan Page, Twitter.
For Business Enquiry and Help, You can Email him.
►YouTube Channel : www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBgs2fL5-u-29up4_JF8kw
►Email Id : email@example.com
► Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/L-T-1681713582078656
► Twitter : www.twitter.com/LearningTechno3