OBJECT OF EXPERIMENT
Particle Size Distribution Curve Of The Given Soil Sample | Sieve Analysis
IS 2720 (Part IV)
Sieve analysis is shaking of the soil through a set of sieves with openings of known sizes. The particle diameter for a sieve test is the size of a square hole of the sieve as mentioned below in the tabular form. Weights retained on each sieve are taken to calculate weights finer than the sieve opening i.e. weights finer than the particle size. A graph can therefore, be plotted with percentage finer by weight vs diameter which is the required particle size distribution curve. Finally, the graph to be plotted in a semi log graph paper.
1. Balance (sensitive to 0.1 percent of the weight of sample to be weighed)
2. Thermostatically controlled over to maintain temperature between 1050C to 1100C
3. IS sieves (Size – 2 mm, 1.18 mm, 0.85 mm, 0.6 mm, 0.3 mm, 0.15 mm and 0.075 mm) with pan and cover.
4. Sieve shaker.
1. The sieves and pan are cleaned and weighed.
2. An oven dried representative sample of soil to be tested is taken and broken into individual grains by finger.
3. Atleast, about 500 gms of soil from the sample is taken.
4. The soil is sieved through the set of sieves (biggest opening at top) with pan at the bottom and cover at the top.
5. The sieves and the pan are weighed with soil in them separately.
6. The weights of soil retained in each sieve are calculated by deducting the weights obtained in step 1 from the weights obtained in step 5.
7. Therefore, the sum of all weights for soil taken.
8. Finally, Percent finer are plotted against sieve opening in a semi-log graph paper.
IS Sieve Size (mm)
|Particle Size D (mm)||Sieve Weight (gm)||Weight of Sieve + Soil (gm)||Weight of Soil Retained (gm)||Percent Retained||
Cumulative Percent Retained
Percent Finer (N)
1. Percent Retained = (Weight of soil retained / Total weight of soil) X 100
2. Cumulative Percent Retained = Sum of the percent retained on all coarser sieves.
3. Percent Finer = 100 – Cumulative Percent Retained
Finally, Write your own experience from experiment.
For more Information, Visit LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
LEARNING TECHNOLOGY is a Brand YouTube channel which contains Technical Lectures on “Civil Engineering” from personal field experience. This Channel is maintained by Civil Engineer MUKESH SAH. You can follow him by subscribing channel and HIT the bell for latest updates.
Share, Support, Subscribe, Like !!!
Visit His Official Websites, Facebook Fan Page, Twitter.
For Business Enquiry and Help, You can Email him.
►YouTube Channel : www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBgs2fL5-u-29up4_JF8kw
►Email Id : firstname.lastname@example.org
► Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/L-T-1681713582078656
► Twitter : www.twitter.com/LearningTechno3