OBJECT OF EXPERIMENT
The object of the experiment is to determine the Specific Gravity & Water Absorption of Coarse Aggregate. Specific Gravity is the ratio of the mass of unit volume of aggregate at a stated temperature to the mass of the same volume of gas free distilled water at a stated temperature.
1. Weighing balance
2. Thermostatically controlled oven
3. Glass vessel
4. Enamel tray
5. Air tight container
6. 10 mm IS sieve
1. Sieve the sample through 10 mm sieve to remove finer particles. Now take sample 1 kg.
2. Place the sample in glass vessel and fill the vessel partly with water. Keep the sample for 24 hours so that they are completely saturated.
3. After 24 hours fill the vessel completely and cover the vessel with disc so that no air can entrapped into vessel. Dry the vessel from outside. Now take the weight.
Weight of Vessel with disc + Sample + Water = ……………….. (A)
4. Drain the water of vessel. Now aggregates are placed on a dry cloth till it comes in SSD (Surface Saturated Dry) condition. Now weight.
Weight of aggregates in SSD condition = ……………….. (C)
5. Now fill the vessel with water completely. Cover the vessel with disc so no air can get into it. Now weight it.
Weight of Vessel with disc + Water = ……………….. (B)
6. Now place the SSD sample in enamel tray and keep it in thermostatically oven at 100 degree celcius for 24 hours. After 24 hours, let the sample cooled in air tight container. Now weight it.
Weight of Oven dry sample = ……………….. (D)
Calculate the Specific Gravity & Water Absorption of Aggregate using the following formula :
SPECIFIC GRAVITY = D / C – (A – B)
WATER ABSORPTION = [(C – D)/D] x 100
Here is a Video By LEARNING TECHNOLOGY, which explains very beautifully about the process of determination of SPECIFIC GRAVITY & WATER ABSORPTION OF COARSE AGGREGATE
For more Information and Videos, Visit LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
LEARNING TECHNOLOGY is a Brand YouTube channel which contains Technical Lectures on “Civil Engineering” from personal field experience. This Channel is maintained by Civil Engineer MUKESH SAH. You can follow him by subscribing channel and HIT the bell for latest updates.
Share, Support, Subscribe and Like !!!
Visit His Official Websites, Facebook Fan Page and Twitter.
For Business Enquiry and Help, You can Email him.
►YouTube Channel : www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBgs2fL5-u-29up4_JF8kw
►Email Id : firstname.lastname@example.org
► Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/L-T-1681713582078656
► Twitter : www.twitter.com/LearningTechno3