OBJECT OF EXPERIMENT
DETERMINATION OF INSITU DENSITY AND DRY UNIT WEIGHT OF SOIL BY CORE CUTTER METHOD
IS 2720 – 1975/88 (Part XXIX) – Determination of in-situ density by core cutter method.
1. Cylinder core cutter of steel beveled at one end, 127.5 mm long and 100 mm internal diameter, with glass thickness of 4.5 mm.
2. Steel dolly with a lip enable it to be fitted on the top of the core cutter.
3. Steel rammer
5. Steel ruler
6. Hand shovel
8. Container for water content determination
9. Thermostatically controlled oven to maintain temperature between 1050 C to 1100 C
10. Straight edge
1. Measure the inside dimensions of the core cutter and calculate its volume. Find the weight of the core cutter (without dolly).
2. Expose the small area of the site, about 30 cm square, to be tested and level it. Put the dolly on the top of the core cutter and drive the assembly into the soil with the help of the rammer until the top of the dolly protrudes about 1.5 cm above the surface.
3. Dig out the container from the surrounding, and allow some soil to project from the lower end of the cutter. With help of the straight edge, trim flat the end of the cutter. Take out the dolly and also trim flat the outer end of the cutter.
4. Find the weight of the cutter full of soil.
5. Keep some representative specimen of soil for water content determination.
|Core cutter Weight (gms)|
|Weight of core cuter + wet soil (gms)|
|Weight of wet soil (gms)|
|Volume of the core cutter (cm3)|
|Bulk density (grams/cm3)|
WATER CONTENT DETERMINATION
|Moisture can and lid number|
|Weight of empty, clean can + lid (gms)|
|Can weight, lid and moist soil (gms)|
|Weight of can, lid and dry soil (gms)|
|Dry soil weight (gms)|
|Water weight (gms)|
|Water content (w)|
|DRY UNIT WEIGHT = (γd) = γ/(1+w) grams/cm3|
Finally, Write your own experience from experiment.
For more Information, Visit LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
LEARNING TECHNOLOGY is a Brand YouTube channel which contains Technical Lectures on “Civil Engineering” from personal field experience. This Channel is maintained by Civil Engineer MUKESH SAH. You can follow him by subscribing channel and HIT the bell for latest updates.
Share, Support, Subscribe, Like !!!
Visit His Official Websites, Facebook Fan Page, Twitter.
For Business Enquiry and Help, You can Email him.
►YouTube Channel : www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBgs2fL5-u-29up4_JF8kw
►Email Id : firstname.lastname@example.org
► Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/L-T-1681713582078656
► Twitter : www.twitter.com/LearningTechno3